Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pure Bad Luck


Hmm... have you ever seen the comic skit, Delirious, by Eddie Murphy? It was released in 1983 and was one his earlier performances. He does a standup about icecream and I could remember the skit perfectly the other night. Everyone acts like a little child when the ice cream man is coming. You can hear the music from blocks away and you wish on anything it will come up your block as soon as possible. Your ear perk up like that a little puppy dog and your eyes brighten with excitement. Well the other night, I heard it. My back door was opened and it sounded like it was coming around the block. I ran to the front window two minutes later and realized he was already passing the h0use. I was thinking "oh my god!!" and I ran down the stairs as fast as my legs could carry me. I ran out the door with no money, no orders for what anyone in the house wanted from the truck and no shoes on my feet, just socks. He stopped for me halfway down the block but when I ran back for the money, he was starting to pull away. I tried so hard to run after him but he was driving too fast. I then did something I never had done before. I got into my car and started to follow the icecream man. With my sister in the passenger seat, I could not stop from laughing. Everytime he had stopped, I threw the car into park and started running down the block. Unfortunately, he never stopped. I couldn't tell if he hadn't seen me or if he was ignoring my persistence and was laughing at my expense. I looked like such a heffer running after this truck. It was as if I had never was going to have ice cream again. My sister and I were hysterica laughing the entire time. Thank god for my self esteem because anyone else would be mortified to admit the possibility of someone else watching this juvenile and insane act. I looked like a crazy person but I was determined. All i wanted was a screwball ice. My mouth was watering everytime I got out of the car to run. My last attempt while completely out of breath was when the truck was stopped at a red light. Even with my running abilities and screaming for the ice cream man, I was shit down. The light turned green and he did not hesistate. I will always wonder whether or not he had seen me. I basically ran around my entire development and what a disappointment I was left with; no icecream screwball. Now that is what I call bad luck!!!

No comments: