Friday, April 18, 2008

Acrophobia & Aviaphobia


Everyone fears something... whether it be small spaces, spiders, heights or any of the others which make it t0 the list classified as a "phobia." Some phobias are taken to the extreme and the individual in fear will make changes to their lifestyle in order to avoid coming face-to-face with it. And then there are the other people who tend to make the best of it and deal with their phobia while still being afraid. I am that kind of person. I have a few phobias but thankfully nothing serious enough that I am limited from them. I have a fear of heights and a slight fear of flying because of it. Fear of heights is called acrophobia and fear of flying is called aviaphobia. Despite my fears, I still go on roller coasts and amusement park ride of any height. I would prefer to not take an elevator or even a high escalator if it was my choice. When I went on my cruise, I walked up and down the stairs of a 9 floor cruise ship as often as I could to avoid the elevators. My fear of flying can be directly related to my fear of how high I am in the sky when you go on an airplane. The new media on plane crashed and the horrifying events of terrorist attacks like September 11th, 2001 definitely add to my fear that was less prominent when I was younger. This however has not affected me to not travel or to ride in airplanes. I have traveled to many places and I have taken many planes to get there. This is the basis on why I say that although I have these phobias, I refuse to put limitations and restrictions in my life as a result of them.

No comments: