Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chinese Zodiac


We live under the International or Gregorian calendar. Our years are determined by the months. The Chinese calendar is based upon astronomical observations and begins on the second new moon of the Winter Solstice. This normally falls between January and February of our year. The meaning behind the 12 animals designated to the Chinese years dates back to Lord Buddha. When he summoned all the animals to bed him farewell before departing from earth, only 12 animals arrived. These animals include Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. He honored them by naming a year after them in the order of their arrival. I was always under the assumption that I was born during the Chinese year of the snake since I was born in 1989. I recently found out that the year of the snake did not start until the day after my birthday, February 6th, 1989. I was born in the year of the dragon. According to the Chinese traditions and zodiac signs, the season and time of day in which you are born have just as much of a major influence on the aspects in your life as the animal that is said to “hide in your heart” does. The animal tends to give a general horoscope. My characteristics as someone born in the year of the dragon are said (also in the link below) to be “Strong-willed, emotional, eccentric, born leader, great ability and high achiever. Lucky, successful, attracts wealth, full of pride, showman, confident, sincere, warm, demanding, high expectations.” My influential element traits of Earth are sociable, conventional and stable. And my compatibility rate with other animal signs (from best to worst) is as follows: Rat, Pig, Rabbit, Monkey, Tiger, Rooster, Sheep, Snake, Horse, Dog, Ox, and Dragon. I think it would be interesting and a little confusing if we lived by this calendar.

No comments: