Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Birth-DAY in History


I was born on Sunday, February 5th, 1989 at 12:44 in the afternoon at Staten Island’s University Hospital. The day obviously has special meaning to my life because it is when I celebrate my birthday year after year. However, there have to have been a handful of events in history with much significance that happened on February 5th as well. I looked up the day and it had many events that occurred. On my actual birthday and year, the last of the Russian troops withdrew from the capital city of Kabul in Afghanistan. All the following events, as well as others that I have not learned, fell on February 5th of different years. An immigration act was passed in 1917. In 1931, Sir Malcolm Campbell set a new race car record of 245MPH with his racing machine, the Bluebird, in Daytona Beach. The first “Don’t Walk” sign was installed in 1952. Children ran for sweets in 1953 after 13 years of sweet rationing in Great Britain since the commencement of WWII. The commander of Apollo 14 (Alan B. Shepard Jr.) became the fifth man to walk on the moon. Panama leader and 16 other associates were charged for drug smuggling and money laundering in 1988. In 1994 in Sarajevo, Bosnia, there was a mortar bomb that exploded in the central market square which killed 68 people and wounded another 200. And in 2008, what was reported to be the worst tornadoes in 2 decades swept across the 5 states of Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Kansas and Alabama, killing 54 people. Some of the events were happy and others were sad. All I know is that my birthday has had a lot more meaning in history than I could have ever imagined.

No comments: